This tutorial is about How to Install Openfiler on Vmware Workstation for Shared Storage using Graphical Installation.
if you don’t know, what is Openfiler? In short, Openfiler is an Operating System (OS) that provides file based network-attached storage and Block-Based storage area network.
Minimum Hardware Requirement
- CPU : At Least 500 MHz
- RAM : 256 MB
- Hard disk : 10 GB (8 GB for OS Installation and 2 GB for Swap Space)
- Optimal Drive : for local Installation
- Ethernet like network Interface
Optimal Hardware Requirement
- 64 bit processor with 1.6 Ghz
- RAM : 2 GB
- Hard Disk : 10 GB (8 GB for OS Installation and 2 GB for Swap Space)
- Hardware Raid Disk array controller is recommended for optimal performance
Checkout minimum and optimal hardware requirement for openfiler before we start as shown below and then start the installation.
How to Install Openfiler on Vmware
- First of all download latest openfiler iso, Then after download the Opefiler iso go to vmware workstation. if you didn’t Installed Vmware Workstation yet checkout post given below.
- How to Install Vmware Workstation in Windows
2. Now i assume that you installed vmware in your machine, Open vmware workstation and click on “File > New Virtual Machine“.
After that Click on “Typical (Recommended) > Next“.
Click on “I will Install the Operating System Later > Next“.
Set “Guest Operating System and Version” as shown below and then click on “Next”
Give name for your Virtual Machine and you can also set location for virtual machine, where you want to store i’m not changing that location after doing this click on “Next”.
Input “Hard disk Size” in my case i’m adding 10 GB of Hard disk and then click on “Next”. if you have any doubt related Hard disk please checkout system requirement for Installing Openfiler given below on the startup of post.
Click on “Customize Hardware”
Now, after Opening “Customize Hardware“, click on “New CD/DVD > Use ISO Image file > Browse“.
After clicking on Browse find “Openfiler iso” file and click on “Open“.
Remove Unnecessary things like Sound card , Printer and Floppy Drive and then click on “close“. The final configuration will look like that as shown below
Final Step is to click on “Finish“, to complete configuration part of creating new virtual machine.
3. Click on “Power on this Virtual Machine” to start the installation of Openfiler.
4. After starting Virtual Machine you will get many Options to install and upgrade. since, we are going to install openfiler graphically. so, You just “press enter to continue“.
Click on “Next” to continue.
5. Choose “U.S.English > Next“.
select “Yes” to continue.
6. select “Remove all partitions on selected drives and create default layout” and then click on “Next“.
7. Now, Create 3 Partition as shown below.
- /Boot : 500 MB
- /Swap : 1500 MB
- / : 8 GB
after adding partition it will look like that. Now, Just click on “Next”.
here Don’t do anything, Just click on “Next” to continue.
8. Here, You can set static IP for openfiler. but, for now we are not changing Openfiler IP. if you want to change DHCP to static you can change it later on.
for now, Just select Manually option as shown below and then set “Hostname” and click on “Next”.
Set the “TimeZone”
Set Password for Openfiler
9. Set Password for Openfiler and click “Next” to continue.
Click “Next” to continue.
From Here, Openfiler Installation Starts wait for few minutes to complete.
Click on “Reboot” to complete the Installation.
Installation Complete : Openfiler Login Screen
10. Now After Rebooting Machine, Type root and password of openfiler that we created at the time of Installation.
- Openfiler Version : 2.99.1
- Web administration GUI : https://<Openfiler-ip>:446 (replace with your openfiler ip)
11. Now, you have to just copy that “web administration GUI” url as shown picture below and paste it in any browser like chrome, firefox,etc. and then click on “Advanced“.
12. After Clicking on “Proceed” you will see Openfiler Login Screen. Login in Openfiler with this username and password.
- Username : openfiler
- Password : password (By-default password of Openfiler)
After Login in Openfiler first dashboard will look like this.
That’s it, This is all about openfiler installation and configuration step by step in vmware. If you want to ask any question about this Tutorial comment Below and always Remember to stay connected with the GeekyVaibhav.com for Latest updates about the Linux.